1. If you have a weak tooth (ie: from decay), you may need a crown to prevent the tooth from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
2. If you have a tooth that is already broken or that has been severely worn down, you may need a crown.
3. Crowns can also be used to cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there is not much tooth left.
4. Crowns can be used to hold a dental bridge in place.
5. Crowns can be placed over misshapen or discolored teeth.
6. If you have had a dental implant placed, a crown may be used to restore the original function of the lost tooth.
7. Or, you may need a crown to cover a tooth that has had a root canal.